Vastu and interior decoration tips are like the two wheels of a car, they need to coincide and compliment with each other in order to keep the wheels running in the right direction. While doing up the interior decoration of a house, it is important to have a complete comprehension of zones, both positive and negative. According to Vastu, the positive zones should be kept light as compared to the negative zones. Hence, the south, west and southwest should be loaded with heavy furniture as they are considered to be heavy directions or negative zones. The north, east and north-east are positive zones or light directions and hence should be kept light and more open.
Some common Vastu and interior decoration tips are as follows:
Placement of furniture as per Vastu–
• The south and west portion of the house should have the sofa set so that while sitting on it, one faces the north or the east direction.
• The southwest direction should have the bed, leaving the southwest corner of the bedroom.
• All valuables and jewellery should be kept in an almirah placed in the southwest of the room, leaving apart the corner. The almirah should open towards the north.
• The north-west of the kitchen, dining room or the living room should have the dining table.
• The north or the east of the study room should have the study table.
• Since an aquarium is filled with water, it is best placed in the north, east or the north-east.
Paintings and Statues
• Vastu suggests putting paintings of natural scenes like sunrise, waterfall and so on.
• Paintings which portray scenes of war or violence should never be hung within the four walls of a house.
• There should not be statues of Gods and Goddesses in the bedroom
• Placing statues of Lord Ganesha for decorative purposes is a common practice.
• The north-east of the room or house should not have heavy statues of idols.
• The southeast direction being the direction for fire should have all the electrical appliances placed here like the gas stove, oven, microwave and so on.
• Even the geyser in the bathroom should be placed in the southeast direction
• The air conditioner, cooler and fridge however should be installed in the north west of the room.
• The north-east of any room should never have electrical appliances placed here.
• The bedrooms should have light coloured curtains.
• Red and black colours should be avoided in bedrooms.
• The living room can have dark coloured curtains
• The mirror should be placed on the east and the north walls of the house.
• The study room should not have a mirror placed therein
• Also, there should be no mirrors opposite to the bed in a bedroom
• Although indoor plants are very popular in decorating the interiors of any house, thorny plants and cactus should be avoided at all costs.
• Big trees and plants should not be placed in the northeast direction of the plot.